Thank goodness for planning.
At 10am the next morning, I’m on my way to a collaborative panel discussion between San Francisco Bay Area Emerging Arts Professionals and the Foundation Center, entitled “Investing in Our People: How We Support our Arts and Culture Workers and Strengthen the Field.”
Perfect timing. No time to cry over spilt milk.
The panel discussion is right on, stirring up dialogue amongst panelists from YBCA, the HUB Bay Area, AXIS Dance, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. Concepts and terms are thrown about »> “triple bottom line”, “qualifying impact”, and “monetizing ideas” through the use of “hybrid models”.
Given my recent unemployed status, I listen and think especially hard about monetizing my ideas and the ideas of the artists I work with.
Will I really be able to grow see. think. dance. to the point where it sustains my lifestyle/livelihood?
The discussion is also an opportunity to network and I set a goal of meeting with a consultant from C2Arts (for which the Creative Capacity Fund may offer assistance), swap updates with a development consultant, schedule happy hour time with a communications professional who has offered a bit of mentoring in the past, and accept a business card from Marc Vogl, Program Officer with the Hewlett Foundation who says he’s always interested in seeing “new work.”
More discussion afterwards with a close friend/artistic collaborator around business models and being profit-oriented.
I know I need to be in “profit” mode all the time but it’s intimidating.
I agree to draw specific goals from my mission statement and work towards clarity around how see. think. dance. is structured.
Then I’m off to lunch with a dynamic, empowered friend who’s taking a break from her work in Mozambique to purchase/establish a home for herself once her program has wrapped.
Her optimism is infectious and we share and vent and drink all manner of deliciousness while at Grand Coffee.
My sublet in West Oakland is mere blocks away from another friend who offers dinner, conversation, and RUM.
Overall, it’s a great day with important conversations but after slowing down a bit, I can feel my ego still suffering a bit from being let go and my to-do list growing into a lengthy document.

Categories:

Leave a Reply