The first weekend continues to inspire on multiple planes.

I am introduced to Bossa Nova, a new and tasty addition to the SoMA district while picking the brain of Scott Hawkins (no relation), a deeply dedicated strategy/fundraising consultant.
On Sunday, I am quietly affected by the deep sense of collaboration and trust I sense in Headmistress’ (Amara Tabor-Smith + Sherwood Chen) showing at Headlands Center for the Arts. Headlands is one my favorite places in the Bay - serene and grounding with a positively yummy communal dining hall.
I enter Week 2 full-steam ahead and plan out an ambitious schedule of meetings and professional development workshops.
I pow-wow with Sheena Johnson, an artist I’ve supported since 2007, shortly after being introduced by the brilliant energy of one Miss Beandrea Davis. Having recently finished her MFA at Mills, Sheena is ready to take on her professional career + wants see. think. dance. to continue to support this journey. A joy, as Sheena is not only an artist deeply dedicated to social justice, but is also a strong administrator who knows what it takes to build out her vision.
Workshops this week include the first part of “Web 2.0 - Taking Your Online Marketing to the Next Level” presented by the Center for Cultural Innovation and Group of Minds, an arts marketing consulting firm.  The second workshop of the week “Building Your Leadership Brand”, one of the Creative Conversations hosted by Americans for the Arts, is an intense experience as I recognize all the things I may have done to detract from my personal leadership brand at my last position. Time for serious constructive self-criticism. And an opportunity for growth as I throw myself into the cultivation of my own creative enterprise.
The week’s highlight is catching up with Herve Ernest, co-founder of SF|Noir, Director of Communications and Community Relations for Intersection for the Arts, and general man about town. On a “lightweight” level, Herve is my unofficial mentor and semi-idol - he diplomatically engages a wide range of personalities + his subtle, strategic ways of positioning himself in the overall cultural landscape haven’t been matched by any other individual I’ve met. He’s also still in love with San Francisco + our quick stop at Bar Agricolemakes me long a bit for what Oakland hasn’t achieved quite yet.
Open Space Thursdays at SFMoMA is a welcome departure from spinning my cocoon of arts administration. Eric Heiman hosts a lecture of 5 panelists who present discussion loosely based on the Pecha Kucha format and in response to the famous Phillipe Starke quote, “Design is dead”. One of the most impactful speakers is Bob Aufuldish, who reminds us that we need to become less attached to trees (print vs. digital - an ecological yet renewable concern) and more concerned about human life (miners of Coltan - a mineral primarly used in consumer electronics is available in few places on earth, Congo being one of them).
The talk saves the best for last as Joshua To of Brute Labs gives us something to DO, an activity that engages our minds + imaginations. A part of the exercise, a notecard that prompts us to write down a cause we feel strongly about, brings to mind teenage prostitution. I don’t have the bandwith right now but the issue continues to pop into my brain at random times so I know I must do something soon.

Categories:

Leave a Reply